Before the internet started to find its way into the education industry, exams were almost exclusively an offline affair conducted using pen and paper. Fast forward to the present day, and online exams and online exam builder software have become the norm. We all have either take one ourselves or know someone who has. Why has the industry so wholeheartedly embraced online exams as an effective means of evaluating the performance of their students and as a tool for teaching? Some of the reasons are –
- It is flexible in terms of location and allows students to take exams from anywhere as long as they have a computer or a mobile device with an internet connection. Teachers can also invigilate assessments remotely. This reduces stress for both teachers and students.
- Online exams reduce the administrative burden on teachers and institutes by saving time that would otherwise be spent on printing and distributing questions papers, setting up exam halls, etc.
- Online exams are much faster to evaluate and also allows for auto scorable questions. In most cases, students can get results instantly or with minimal delay.
- There is a great level of security for online exams as only authorized personnel can create/modify exams, and only permitted students can take the exams. The chances of question leaking are slim to none.
Best online exam builder software: The top picks
Here are some of the best online exam tools available in the market –
Learnyst is a Learning Management System, and as part of its many offerings, it has an online exam tool that allows you to create your own branded mock tests for almost all competitive exams, including CAT, GATE, IIT-JEE, GMAT, and more. Simply use the drag & drop feature to create your own exams quickly. The onscreen evaluation feature empowers you to be twice as much efficient by assigning evaluators and annotating answer sheets. The analytics features are also wide and also provide learners with comparative insight against the performance of the topper.
This is a complete solution for online examinations, including entrance tests, recruitment examinations, skill assessments, certifications, etc. The platform provides end-to-end assistance from application management to conduct online exams, results processing, and certificate generation. Some of its most-liked features include:
- Artificial Intelligence-driven proctor
- Desktop screen capturing during the exam
- Multiple question types
- Encrypted question bank
- Dual camera feed for an all-around view
- Comprehensive reporting with activity record and fairness score
- Speech capturing feature
- Scalable and cloud-based
- Free product support and training
- Free mock tests
Related post: How to prevent online exam cheating in Google Forms?
This is a very versatile online exam builder software that has advanced features like automatic grading and instant reporting. The tool allows you to create online exams in just three simple steps and customize assessment for better evaluation, security, and certification. It has a competitive price, and best of all, the free version offers 25 free exams per month forever. It is GDPR compliant and has encrypted data storage. On that note, here are some of the platform’s most useful features:
- Ease of use
- Quick set up time
- Competitive pricing
- Detailed performance reports
- Import of questions through spreadsheets
- Comprehensive reporting dashboards and performance reports
- Automatic grading
This platform’s suite of anti-cheating technologies and enables a secure and fair online exam experience for large-scale exams. They have more than 4000 clients worldwide and have conducted over 12 million proctored exams annually in over 150 universities. The following are some of its most useful features –
- Candidate tracking
- Self-service portal
- Reference checking
- Option to choose between AI-based or manual remote proctoring
- 3-point candidate authentication
- Image recognition
- Works on mobile (iOS and Android) and web
- Live in-person training
This software provides three kinds of online remote proctoring services, including auto proctoring and live proctoring. It is a favorite among many academic institutions and uses AI to proctor exams. They have over 1000 customers worldwide and facilitates ID authentication, and have a daily proctoring capacity of more than 10,000 exams. Some of its most populr features are:
- Session launch with a live proctor
- Assistance from a dedicated account team
- Multi-step identity verification using a live proctor
- Schedule or 24/7 access on demand
- A.I based behavior analysis
- Quicky verification of remove exam environments
- Very convenient for exams conducted from homes
- Credibility protection
This is one of the best open-source online exam systems. It allows trainers and online educators to schedule, author, deliver and report on various kinds of online assessments, including quizzes, tests, and exams. It is a completely web-based system that is platform-independent, language-independent and is compliant with all W3C standards and guidelines. Below are some of its top features:
- Easy adaptability, quality. Innovation and security
- GNU-Linux Operative System supported by Apache Web server, PHP, and MySQL.
- The platform requires LAMP platform and flexible technical requirements that make it downloadable on any computer and on any web browser.
- The platform uses Open Standard for data filing and interchange
- It uses standard mark-up language for text formatting, adding images, multimedia, and mathematical formulas.
This is another open-source online examination platform that enables you to effortlessly create, schedule, and evaluate exams. The user interface is straightforward and very easy to use, even for clients who are new to such tools. The best thing about Kaldin is that the developers take customer feedback seriously and implements them quickly. The platform can also be customized as per the requirements of customers. The following are Kaldin’s most impressive features:
- Works on all popular web browsers, including Firefox, Safari, Chrome, and Opera.
- Multiple users can be added for tests, and results can be generated instantly.
- High security hosting to keep user data and tests private
- Import questions and reuse them in multiple sets
This is a one-for-all approach. Dynamic exercise templates are used to create different kinds of personalized exams, tests, and quizzes. The free version is flexible enough and can be extended as per the user’s requirements. The following are some of its features:
- Along with PDF and HTML versions, exercise templates are also available
- Compatible on Windows and Mac OD and Linux
- It can be easily installed within R using a single command
- It used typesetting system LaTex to produce PDF Output
The needs of a coaching institute are best fulfilled by Papershala as it simplifies online exams, their results, and student analysis. It offers an affordable exam plan to small institutes and is powerful enough to create online exams rapidly. The following are some of its features:
- Works on all devices including desktop, mobile, and tablets and also on all major operating systems
- It offers a multifunctional question bank with full customization features
- A separate student dashboard with a graphical interface for different information related to the test is also available.
- It works on devices with low-end specifications
Further Reading: How To Create Online Tests For Students – In 5 Steps
There are hundreds of online exam software available in the market for online educators and institutes to choose from. The tool you choose should be closely aligned with the goals you are trying to achieve. If you would like some assistance, we would be happy to help you out. Get in touch now!