Are you looking for the top Udemy alternatives for instructors? You have come to the right place as we bring you some of the best platforms that can help you out in your course creation and management process.
It is not surprising to see that e-learning has emerged as one of the most profitable business sectors, especially during the pandemic period. Many digital learning platforms started setting up their portfolio and turned into market leaders. This sector also witnessed a fresh influx of teachers and instructors trying to share their knowledge. This period is also the one where could read multiple success stories of various teachers- entrepreneurs.
But no profession is a bed of roses. Even teaching has several challenges. One such challenge that even the most knowledgeable teachers face today is – choosing the right platform for their courses. If you are an online tutor, then there are high chances that you could be a Udemy user. After all, Udemy is quite popular. But one size never fits all. Udemy is not the perfect choice for most tutors out there, and they should consider the alternatives as it offers more customized solutions to them.
We wanted to make your life easier and have come up with a list of top 4 Udemy alternatives for instructors.
Let us first understand Udemy in detail. Udemy is a massive online course provider (MOOC) focussed on helping instructors create and sell courses. After you create a course, it gets added to the Udemy course library, and then the students can decide whether to opt for it or not. Using the platform’s tools, teachers can upload videos, animations, presentations, PDFs, and even conduct live classes. As a student, you will find various courses covering topics such as business, entertainment, engineering, and technology, etc. Most edupreneurs choose Udemy in the first place because it offers a dedicated and ready-to-use market for shopping online courses.
Pros and Cons of Udemy
Like any other online teaching software, Udemy has its own set of pros and cons. Here are some of the benefits of using Udemy as a course creating a platform –
- Udemy is an easy-to-use platform. It is quite easy and convenient to use, even for beginners.
- Learners can choose the courses based on their time preference. Again this is a feature that almost every teaching platform offers today.
- Tutors need to monitor their students’ performance continually, and Udemy offers cloud support to store the progress data. Udemy also provides data and metrics on how students are engaging with the learning.
The above-mentioned are some of the top advantages of using Udemy. But these benefits are present in almost every modern online platform. On top of it, the below negatives will make us lookout for some alternatives very soon.
- Udemy lacks one of the primary requirement of an online platform – student engagement. Even though the lectures are great, students find it challenging to have an interactive session which hinders retention.
- Udemy has a poor course selection process. It does not have a proper screening process to filter out amateur courses that do not solve students’ purpose.
- You do not have 100% control over the monetary benefits. You have to share a percentage of the amount you earn with Udemy.
- Udemy allows you to sell your course only under their brand name. This is a significant negative for the course sellers as they will never experience the sense of ownership for their courses.
Though the pros look appealing and attractive, the restrictions posed by the platform have a greater impact. This will lead to a search for Udemy alternatives for instructors that can break these limitations and give the teacher a hassle-free teaching experience.
Top Udemy alternatives for Course creators.
Learnyst is a home-grown ed-tech startup that has significantly tasted success in a very short time. It is a one-stop for all your course creation and management needs.
With Learnyst, instructors have earned more than 10x profits over their investments. On average, the Learnyst platform hosts around 5000+ courses with nearly 80,000 student users worldwide.
Reasons for choosing Learnyst
- Top content security with high-end DRM encryption
- SCORM compliant
- Custom mobile app development for your courses
- Website designing made easier with various templates thereby saving your time
- You can easily integrate third-party apps to offer an attractive online course experience
- You can build courses and sell them from your own website
- Interactive UI and gamification features boost student participation, thus increasing the retention capacity of students
- Facility to create mock tests with onscreen evaluation technology
- Easy marketing with great sales turnover
To know more about the features of Learnyst, click here.
Coggno is another emerging LMS that can be a good alternative for Udemy. With Coggno, you can create and sell courses and generate constant revenue. Most people use this platform for training employees. They do this by collecting all the online courses and offering them in bulk quantities to the companies.
- SCORM compliant courses unlike Udemy
- Video editor tool makes life easier to upload videos in a few clicks
- The customization features are impressive
- The test and assessment tools are convenient to use, and the results generated are also satisfactory
- You cannot use this tool synchronous mode of teaching, i.e. you cannot take live classes using this platform
- Lack of gamification features tends to reduce participation of the learners and their involvement in the classes
- Revenue generated cannot be fully acquired; you have to share a percentage of your earnings with Coggno
- Coggno sets the pricing plans. This is seen as a drawback since you do not have control over your course pricing.
This is a popular Indian e-learning company. Edureka is focused on providing training in trending technologies such as Big Data Analytics, Cloud Computing, Website Development, and so on.
- The platform offers a high-end curriculum to the latest technologies in the IT sector
- Students find pricing of courses to be attractive, thus drawing them to the platform
- A well-organized customer support system that resolves issues immediately
- There are several courses by experienced instructors that adds up as an incentive to its growth
- No efforts to upgrade the platform frequently are made.
- Learners feel that rules and regulations set by the Edureka often hinder their learning.
In Skillshare, the classes are timed around 10-25 minutes long with each class broken down into short video lectures; everything prerecorded. You also have the advantage of being a part of the Skillshare Royalty Programme where you can earn from your courses and also through referrals.
- Students find the courses to be of good quality with a knowledgeable content and sound teaching methodologies. This attracts them to this platform.
- Effective feedback mechanism that values the feedback of the learners. You can use it for altering your courses.
- It allows for blended learning, which greatly impacts the learners to discuss in groups
- Although it has a free signup policy, students can be irked by the fact that they cannot unlock all the courses available on the platform.
- The number of courses available is quite less than compared to other platforms.
- The courses are not organized. A student might end up searching for a long time to select your course.
LinkedIn Learning is also an udemyy alternative for instructors, which is an American massive open online course provider. It provides video courses taught by industry experts in software, creative, and business skills. It is a subsidiary of LinkedIn. All the courses on LinkedIn fall into 3 categories: Business, Creative, and Technology.
How Learnyst can help?
Learnyst stands tall in terms of pricing policies, course availability, content quality, student interaction, and sales turnover. Hence, it is simple to conclude that Learnyst is a better alternative to Udemy.
Now it is time to give a headstart to a seamless and hassle-free experience of teaching. Start by exploring the various features and benefits of Learnyst today.