In this post, we will cover the 7 best practices on how to take online classes.
Electronic media is influencing every aspect of our lives and education is no exception to this.
When e-commerce made shopping easy, e-learning made education easier. Being physically present is no longer mandatory for learning.
A computer with strong internet connectivity is sufficient to access high-quality education. This era of tutelage, we call it ‘online education’.
Online classes have become the ‘new normal’ in this pandemic situation.
With all educational institutions closed temporarily, online classes are taking over the global education system.
This has changed the entire landscape of learning. Classes, roll calls, tests, and everything else is now going on screen.
Today, students access the videos anytime they want. And the best part: they get the exact classroom atmosphere where they are constantly being engaged.
In this blog post, we will explore the 7 key techniques on how to take online classes.
We will begin the post with a story of one of our customers.
7 Steps On How To Take Online Classes
Krish, worked as a software engineer in a reputed firm.
He lost his job during the pandemic and thus decided to experiment with his skill in training students with Python programming.
Krish opted for Learnyst and started tasting success right from day one because he had charted out a clear step by step plan to manage his online classes like a pro.
Here are the seven steps he followed –
Step 1: Identify your skills
This is more of a prerequisite rather than a step. Before starting your online classes, you need to explore your skill.
You need to be an expert in the subject to handle the questions that students might ask.
List down the topics which you are comfortable with and do a small research about the mindset of students on the topic.
In Krish’s case, he identified his skill as programming and started teaching it with Learnyst.
Step 2: Decide which platform to use to create the courses
You must choose the right platform for your class based on your requirements.
There are 2 options – An Learning Management System (Like Learnyst) and a Web Conferencing Software (Like Zoom).
Learning Management System
Learning Management System (LMS) is the software that handles all the activities of your virtual classes. It basically simplifies online teaching for you.
For example, the Learnyst LMS offers you features like:
- Secure hosting for your contents (like pdf’s, videos)
- Conduct Live Classes & Record sessions
- Credit 100% course sales to your bank account
- Conduct multiple quizzes like MCQ, Essay, Numerical (with the option to schedule tests on a later date)
- Provide in-depth test reports & analytics to students
- Allow & Manage student discussions
- Add learners or contents import in bulk (through excel or word)
Basically, we handle the technology complexities and help you focus on creating your content material.
Web Conferencing Applications
Apps like Zoom and Google Meet lets you take live classes and even record the session for future reference purposes.
But on the downside, you have to handle the technology complexities of safeguarding your contents, handling students, arranging contents using these tools.
Step 3: Set up a good work environment to conduct online class
Students get bored in a non-engaging classroom.
However, a good-looking environment can boost their morale and make them more involved. Here are some tips you can use while teaching live.
- Keep your camera at an appropriate distance so that you’re visible to the students and have a good mic to present clear audio.
- Take online classes in a closed environment where there are no external noise disturbances.
- Similarly, good internet connectivity is also a critical factor while taking online classes.
I have covered these steps in detail in this blog post, do check it out.
Our customer Krish used a simple whiteboard, and his phone was mounted on a camera.
He then recorded the lessons and uploaded them into Learnyst to create his own course.
Step 4: Create lessons for your online class
It goes without saying, you need quality online content like PDF’s or videos for your classes.
The best way to create content is to know what your student likes and then share facts in the way they like. (It is ok to be a little unconventional or friendly)
For e.g. Can you believe that this teacher used a computer game to teach math?
The idea is to make your course more marketable among students.
If you can afford it, take the help of SME’s (subject matter experts) who help you create really awesome engaging video content.
If not, you can still make really awesome engaging video contents for free that will serve the purpose.
Given below are some basic tips that can be followed to create engaging content:
- Frame your text in an easily readable and understandable format.
- Avoid using complex phrases and jargon.
- Add more pictures in between text to attract attention
- Avoid having lengthy paragraphs to explain a concept.
- Always try to finish every session with a real-life scenario, a small quiz, and a sneak peek into the next session.
Step 5: Make your online classes interactive
Keeping your online classes interactive is as important as creating engaging content.
The more engaging your classes are, the more students will eagerly join and recommend your course to their friends.
Making an engaging class isn’t about using animations and colorful presentations.
It is more about interacting with your learner’s mind with questions and getting them to participate in your course topic.
Let us have a quick look at the various techniques to keep your class engrossing for the learners.
- Work on the content for a particular day. Do not dump all contents on a single day. This automatically leads to boredom and monotony.
- Explain minimum concepts with an interesting case study and ask them to share their experiences.
- Limit the duration of the class. According to experts, the average time duration for an online class on a single day should not be more than 60 min. Utilizing the 60 min to your advantage keeps you on track.
- Sometimes showing your face on video can work wonders. Connect directly with your students and speak right in front of the camera. This can have a great effect on the learner’s mind to be attentive.
- Add activities in between the classes. Activities like puzzles, quizzes, peer reviews, and brainstorming sessions are a healthy practice to engage your audience.
Krish regularly used the ‘live video’ feature of Learnyst to reach his students in real-time.
The classes were engaging as the students could ask their questions directly to Krish.
He also regularly added on-the-spot quizzes to make the class more interesting.
Step 6: Market your course
It is common practice to follow a marketing strategy to generate more leads for your course.
Creating posters, social media promotions, posting ads are some of the customary strategies that are often followed.
Have a unique brand for your course which attracts students. Platforms like Learnyst helps you in pitching your course.
We also help you with building your own website which can be designed as per your brand guidelines. Fix a nominal course fee to attract more students.
Affiliate marketing is another stratagem to entice visitors to the course.
Using Google’s ads can also help to market your course in a better way.
Read the how to market your online course guide to get more tips
Step 7: Get feedback and apply it on your course
After starting the course, it is important to get feedback from your participants and apply them to your course in the future.
Feedback adds great value to your course and you get many ideas to shape the course material in a better manner.
So, these were the 7 steps on how to take online classes. I hope these steps help you to create better courses and help you teach more students online.
So, what are the next steps?
At Learnyst, we help you with the entire process of course creation to marketing, creating your own branded online academy.
If you already have course content ready, signup with us and get your online academy free for 14 days.
You can create your own branded online academy, upload, sell, and get 100% course sales credited to your bank account during this 14 day trial period.
So, go ahead. Create and Sell Courses online and make 10X revenue within months.