When I started creating content and went on to look for authoring tools I was so confused like you. With over 200+ authoring tools available online the real challenge turned to be choosing the right authoring tool that suits my need rather than the content creation itself. I went through huge range of these authoring tools and finally was able to figure out my needs. So, I thought of sharing these tips with you.
- First decide whether you want to go for free authoring tools or the paid one is just OK for you.
- Do you want the cloud based authoring tools or the HTML5 authoring tools? or Doesn’t it really matter?
- Are you looking for Individual desk-top tool or web-based collaborative tool? Check if it really support the kind of collaboration you are looking for.
- Are you a designer and learner? Doesn’t matter. Your authoring tools should have Intuitive user interface for both. A new person looking into a new tool should be able to start using it easily on the first run.
- It should have a Design Model that you are comfortable with. Especially when it’s a new tool you take time to adjust with the design interface.
- Will it work well with your LMS? Is it a tool recommended by your LMS provider? Have they demonstrated the integration?
- About SCORM/AICC Standards complience. Will it allow you to go outside of SCORM if necessary?
- Inclusion of standard templates and also allows to create your own.
- Allows you to publish to a variety of formats including HTML, XML, Flash, HTML5, etc.
- Blended learning – Will it suit with scenarios where learners are also accessing other models such as classroom courses, virtual classes, etc.?
- Multi-media – video, audio, animation, avatars. Does it have built-in tools for these or do you need external tools? Are these authoring tools easy to use? There are many formats used for these – what are your preferences?
- does it have screen capture video for software simulations?
- Ability to create social simulations as well as software simulations.
- Can you import from or export to other authoring platforms that others may be using?
- Can you customize the look and feel of the output ? – themes, styles, colours, branding,text etc a creative person always wishes to customize the content with his own ideas rather than using templates.
- Check if there is a print and save option available in the authoring tool? A few authoring tools might not provide save option.
Please drop in a comment to share any more features you would look for in the content authoring tool you choose.